• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Notice for Blackvue users : Resolve overheating issue

Dear all merc members,

Users who bought the Blackvue cams and are faced with the foggy video images, I managed to find the solution to resolve this issue. Please follow the instructions shown in the link below :

Solved blackvue blur image

Tested on my DR400G Version 1 unit and it works!

After further research, I was made known that the foggy videos are caused by the oxidation of the lens as a result of Singapore's humidity.

Kindly spread this good news to all Blackvue users who are not aware, thanks!

• Like 1

Dear all merc members,

Users who bought the Blackvue cams and are faced with the foggy video images, I managed to find the solution to resolve this issue. Please follow the instructions shown in the link below :

Solved blackvue blur image

Tested in my DR400G Version 1 unit and it works!

After further research, I was made known that the foggy videos are caused by the oxidation of the lens as a result of Singapore's humidity.

Kindly spread this good news to all Blackvue users who are not aware, thanks!

hi bro , is my cam back from korea? else just take it back and i do this solution on my own? thanks..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Iconchia,

No harm trying this method, it may help to resolve the issue.

I would recommend cleaning solvent (mild and non-alcoholic) to clean the inner lens as well. Make sure you cover the edges of the lens by tweaking the shape of the cotton bud. Use a pin if you encounter problems taking out the rubbers.

Many users have tried this method and it works well.

Got a betta idea... how about putting it into the rice bin and the oxidation will go away... so that those with issues gets their camera back....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

IMHO, this method might work but I've seriously lost confidence in BlackVue. Me as an end user should not be doing DIY repair works. Plus you'll constantly always be thinking when you'll need to "service" the camera again. Worst case scenario is when you actually need a footage from the camera and finding out you missed the "servicing" and the footage is blurred again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Use the flathead watchmaker screwdriver, insert in between the gap to ply open the plastic covers (it takes abit of effort during first try).

Markcwq, I have done slight modification to drill more holes on the cam body. It helps to dissipate the heat and prolong the duration of film build up on the inner lens. I must admit that this will not totally resolve the overheating issue but will at least reduce the occurence of footages turning foggy again. My DR400G Version 1 is still running fine after 3 months with this modification. No harm trying out if the warranty has expired.

Use the flathead watchmaker screwdriver, insert in between the gap to ply open the plastic covers (it takes abit of effort during first try).

Markcwq, I have done slight modification to drill more holes on the cam body. It helps to dissipate the heat and prolong the duration of film build up on the inner lens. I must admit that this will not totally resolve the overheating issue but will at least reduce the occurence of footages turning foggy again. My DR400G Version 1 is still running fine after 3 months with this modification. No harm trying out if the warranty has expired.

Both my F/R DR400 HDs is still running after 1.5 years without problem.

The "The Blackvue is Shutting Down"! means when you can hear that, the internal battery is still working when you power down.

The only thing I did was no Parking Mode recording.

Can you imagine if your car park under a hot sunny day and the unit runs hot in the car! :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

i have done exactly like what was shown in the video for my DR380.  it's actually not difficult and you can literally see a film of moist on the lens itself.

agree with Mark that this cannot be 'right' solution. if it's working the way it shld, there's no reason for me to take it apart every few months for 'cleaning'.

but given mine was a replacement for my previous DR400 and there's no warranty anymore so to speak, i suppose this is better than junking it altogether.

i would, however, not recommend any Blackvue cams to anyone anymore. :phew:

• Like 1

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

i would, however, not recommend any Blackvue cams to anyone anymore. :phew:

"THE BLACKVUE IS SHUTTING DOWN!!!!!!" :lol:

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am running DR500GW in the front.

This I bought from Qoo10 at S$235 English firmware > 9 months - not even a single problem!

My 2 Blackvue DR400HD is now 2+ years (Bought from local PI @ $350 each)

I am running 1 DR400HD in the rear and the other kept us spare.

The DR400HD in the front is running well too without problem and the spare DR400HD which I brought out for testing recently - still function 100%.

I just bought the DR550GW for my younger brother for S$460.00 from Qoo10 English firmware.

Will update the performance of the DR550GW in months to come! :)

p.s I do not run Parking Mode & I threw away the Power Magic

imho, the Blackvue runs hot and in Parking Mode especially under the hot sun will likely kill the internal Li Polymer battery and mess up the lens too.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi bros,

Can I check with bros who have upgraded their dvr, whether the setup for old versions works for newer version? I'm currently on DR380 but because one of the screws frayed and I can't removed the cover to clean, I'm thinking of just changing the unit. Also to upgrade to better versions like 550.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

was thinking of getting DR500GW or DR500GW HD any feedback on this 2 model?

basically spec is the same except wifi and GPS function.

Was quoted 298 and 398 with $50 installation fee from wow gadget with power magic pro add $60

appreciate your feedback thanks.

I have been using the DR500GW-HD for about a year already and so far so good.  I got it installed with T-Power. 

I have heard some users complaining about over-heating with other BlackVue dashcam but for this model and based on my experience, not an issue.  Recording is also clear, both during the day and at night though at some wrong angles e.g. entering and exiting short tunnel, the light sensor may not be able to adjust fast enough.

I am now considering installing the same for my wife's car .....

The only issue I have is with the reflection of my dashboard on the windscreen which is not really the fault of the dashcam.  Heard it can be resolved by adding a polariser but got to import the 3-D printed adapter from USA and buy the polarising lens from Amazon, which is a bit leceh.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After reading much of the forum info and advise from some members. We've just installed the BlackVue DR650 base on recommendation on my Wife's New E250. 

Very satisfied with the professional installation and quality of the product :-)

Here's some photo for sharing :-)

Cheers!

imagejpg2_zpsd1de2e99.jpg

imagejpg1_zpse8b2ee34.jpg

imagejpg3_zps2839e010.jpg

imagejpg4_zps14f0c185.jpg

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why."

After reading much of the forum info and advise from some members. We've just installed the BlackVue DR650 base on recommendation on my Wife's New E250.

Very satisfied with the professional installation and quality of the product :-)

Here's some photo for sharing :-)

Hi, do they need to dismantle many things? Really Hate it if noise appear after doing wiring jobs...

Nope,

Pretty much just fit on ...it was quite good within an hour or so while we had tea just outside the shop. As for my wife since it's her car, stare at the installation and workmanship like an hawk standing around lol, she quite impressed.

Cheers!

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why."