• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Dangerous Merc Driver

**Without prejudice**

*Video Removed*

Apologies and definitely not generalising any Mercedes drivers here but just want to make it a point to note that we as drivers aren't perfect. Also contemplating that should I just send the video to Traffic Police.

That said, that doesn't mean a driver and in this instance referring to the merc driver in the video need to force your way through when you obviously see my car signalling to the right. You came from the left lane right behind me and upon seeing me signalling right, you also change to right lane. My car is already half the lane across to the other and you had to speed up and squeeze through causing a near side swipe which is utterly unnecessary. The other car can be my witness (I saw the other car driver shaking his head in dismay and had his number plate taken down as witness) which you also nearly cause an accident with him when you cut into his lane as well when he was at the right lane right next to you. FYI, my family was in the car and noting that you are alone, that doesn't mean you drive as you deem. If you hear the video, you could hear the shock from my love ones.

Moral of story, not necessary asking you to give way but you don't have to drive in such a way you cause danger to other road users. We are not perfect but that doesn't mean we don't try to have basic road usage etiquette. Drive safe and think about your love ones even if they are not physically there in the car.

Thanks.

Cal.

without prejudice too...

may i ask...why did you accelerate when filtering out (faster than normal, and the way you turn out feels like you want a quick exit to avoid something)? you said merc was on left lane, so to avoid you he has to step on his brakes. he shouldnt have done that, but seems like you started it rite? 

Anyway, drive safe.

• Like 1

You're dethpicable. 

without prejudice too...

may i ask...why did you accelerate when filtering out? you said merc was on left lane, so to avoid you he has to step on his brakes. he shouldnt have done that, but seems like you started it rite?

I agree with your preliminary assessment. Perhaps maybe I explain a little more elaborately.

Prior to me filtering to the main road (Tanjong Katong Road South) from Amber Road during that split second, I check on my right I could see a Merc (on the left lane) and a Civic (on the right lane) just exiting from ECP entering to Tanjong Katong Road South. They were about 100 to 120 metres away (thereabout). I proceed to filter to the main road seeing the car was quite a distance.

I agreed I sped up which was obvious that I had to unless you filter to main road and you slow down which doesn't make sense. After exiting in less than 2 seconds I check my right rear mirror I could only see the Civic (still at the right lane) from a distance about 50 to 80 metres. While doing so and changing lane, the next thing I knew the Merc changed from left lane cut to right and sped up.

My question is, was that necessary and even so, I just wondered why he had to sped up, cut into Civic's lane and deliberately squeezing through noting it is a 60km/hr road and secondly, I am already half a lane into the lane I am filtering into. The answer was rather obvious, he wanted to turn right to Upper East Coast Road. He could have slowed down and change to the right lane letting the Civic pass first but he chose the dangerous route, to speed up, cut into Civic's path and squeeze through just to get ahead of two cars.

To add on and upon seeing in another perspective I could have waited the road to be absolutely clear but in judging the condition and distance, I knew I had sufficient space to exit and filter to right hence speeding up. But two wrong doesn't make one right. I was at the situation not causing danger but I don't see why this driver had to do this act.

Anyway a different perspective is always good and if I am in the wrong, gladly I'll apologise.

• Like 1

MANDATORY ROAD SIGNS IN SINGAPORE

540px-Singapore_Road_Signs_-_Regulatory_

GIVE WAY (Slow Down. Stop if necessary. Give way to traffic on major road) 

Drive Safely! Think of your love ones!

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

it seems like u ignored oncoming cars before changing lane..if he was gg at a fast speed, swerving slowly into the middle lane is useless also...best check mirrors and gauge carefully before changing lanes.

thanks for the video but since i am not there so cannot judge but just sharing my own personal opinion bah...

Drive safe all...  :)

• Like 3

it seems like u ignored oncoming cars before changing lane..if he was gg at a fast speed, swerving slowly into the middle lane is useless also...best check mirrors and gauge carefully before changing lanes.

thanks for the video but since i am not there so cannot judge but just sharing my own personal opinion bah...

Drive safe all... :)

As I have depicted, I had sufficient distance to filter out and I checked before changing lane. In my line of sight during that time merc was directly behind me and the Civic was at a distance on the right lane hence by the time I started to change lane, he changed together with me and sped up to cut next to me. If you see the speed he drove passed me, you'll understand.

Well, I wish I had a rear camera to do more justice but that's how much I can explain. I am more than willing to hear the other party and his side of story.

To me, regardless but it does not necessitate and noting I am already half a lane across and still insist on pushing on and squeezing next to me.

My opinion is:

1. Side road to main road you didn't slow down or stop to check existing road conditions before turning into the main road. Maybe from your angle you could see clearly but that's just my observation.

2. You may judge that you had sufficient space before switching lane. Similarly the other driver may judge he had sufficient space to accelerate before you switched lane.

Moral of the story is - live and let live. Each give a bit of way and practice some courtesy and you won't be here posting this thread. If you waited for the main road to clear before filtering out you'll be fine. If he allowed you to switch lane you'll be fine.

• Like 6

My opinion is:

1. Side road to main road you didn't slow down or stop to check existing road conditions before turning into the main road. Maybe from your angle you could see clearly but that's just my observation.

2. You may judge that you had sufficient space before switching lane. Similarly the other driver may judge he had sufficient space to accelerate before you switched lane.

Moral of the story is - live and let live. Each give a bit of way and practice some courtesy and you won't be here posting this thread. If you waited for the main road to clear before filtering out you'll be fine. If he allowed you to switch lane you'll be fine.

Agreed and I don't dispute the fact. Will be more aware in future and thanks for the comments especially live and let live.

Cheers guys and no hard feelings.

Bro this one still minor....Drive safely

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Is this at every zebra crossing junctions?and many other place? Yet a lot of people still ignore it.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Agreed and I don't dispute the fact. Will be more aware in future and thanks for the comments especially live and let live.

Cheers guys and no hard feelings.

Just came back from korea and seen how they drive in small roads in major shopping disricts. The roads are crawling with people but the drivers just drive patiencely and wait for the pedestrians to move aside without honking. If it was in singapore, probably the drivers will be honking and swearing all the way. And so too will the pedestrians

Seems like singaporeans, me included, are very impatient behind the wheels. I always try to think that nothing is personal on the road. Sometimes we meet crazy drivers trying to kill us and sometimes we are the crazy ones ourselves. I believe all of us have our own moment of madness.

Glad that although you had a close shave, no one was injured. Cheers to that and hope we can all be a little safer behind the wheels : )

Of course and having said and shared so much earlier, I totally agree with you such that I am not a perfect driver either and at times, guilty of being impatient as well. Lol, blame it on our culture and upbringing?

Just give you an example.. I remember some time early 2000, I was stationed in Sydney for work. Was rushing to the airport to pick my family up as they were visiting. On the way, there was a sudden downpour and road conditions were bad. There was this downhill on a B road and suddenly the car in front of me slammed his brake. I slammed mine to and a close shave I managed to miss kissing his rear but the car behind me wasn't as lucky. Given SG style, I guess both drivers would jump out of car and start arguing but to my astonishment, the lady driving the car at the back came down and said: "young man (still young back then..lol), are you alright? Don't worry it is absolutely my fault and I will pay for this mess. Just want to make sure you ain't hurt" I never would expect that to happen and the etiquette and thoughtfulness was beyond words.

Well, 2 months later her insurance indeed settled everything. I had her mailing address and wrote a letter of gratitude to her. Karma I guess.

Live and let live and what goes around comes around. Impatient I maybe but I try my best to remind myself as much as I could.

Anyway I deleted the video as I don't see a need to continue on venting my dismay, I guess to some extent I am at fault as well.

P/s: It is ironic I own a Merc myself as family car but never had a chance to join and for the oddest reason I did today. Nice knowing you all!

Cheers,

Cal

he still eating his olive.... and his banana....

wow...actually you type like one too...finish your martini?

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Then you sure won't like driving behind me......

know u will say "" Thou shall not pass!""......

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Live and Let Live! It is true some times our road etiquette can be quite terrible but nonetheless, different country, different upbringing as you correctly pointed out. I still remember when I was schooling in the UK, high-beaming someone means I'm giving you way, whereas in Singapore, it is pretty much "Get the F out of my way".

Cai is right when he said there's no perfect driver out there, so best is live to let live and be patient on the road. =)

HUAT AH!!!!!!!