• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Changing Tyres.

mulderang

Hi bro, there are basically 2 types of tyres in the market, one is the performance tyres and the other is the eco/quiet types.

Those that you have listed belongs to the performance type: good grip, great performance in dry and wet, improved handling, etc. However you will suffer from higher road noise, faster wear rate, more rolling resistance, etc. On the other hand, eco/quiet tyres are quiet, comfortable, long lasting, fuel efficient; but they suffer from not as good grip and handling compared to performance tyres.

This has to be expected as you cant have the best of both worlds.

Thus to answer your question, if you are only concerned with road noise, please ignore all the tyres listed above as they are all performance tyres. Even the so-called quiet performance tyres are noiser than your average eco/quiet tyres. As to which brand/type is better, please ask your friendly tyre shop uncle as I have not tried these eco/quiet tyres before. However a quick search online and I have some recommendations for you:

- Yokohama Advan dB

- Michelin Premacy LC

- Continental Eco Contact

Good luck and please change asap as 10% thread left sounds dangerous.

• Like 2

Hi bro, there are basically 2 types of tyres in the market, one is the performance tyres and the other is the eco/quiet types.

Those that you have listed belongs to the performance type: good grip, great performance in dry and wet, improved handling, etc. However you will suffer from higher road noise, faster wear rate, more rolling resistance, etc. On the other hand, eco/quiet tyres are quiet, comfortable, long lasting, fuel efficient; but they suffer from not as good grip and handling compared to performance tyres.

This has to be expected as you cant have the best of both worlds.

Thus to answer your question, if you are only concerned with road noise, please ignore all the tyres listed above as they are all performance tyres. Even the so-called quiet performance tyres are noiser than your average eco/quiet tyres. As to which brand/type is better, please ask your friendly tyre shop uncle as I have not tried these eco/quiet tyres before. However a quick search online and I have some recommendations for you:

- Yokohama Advan dB

- Michelin Premacy LC

- Continental Eco Contact

Good luck and please change asap as 10% thread left sounds dangerous.

HUH??? KNN my tyre unker bluff me!!!! tell me that is very good for noise... tomolo go burn his tyre shop!!! Tanzy coming???

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

HUH??? KNN my tyre unker bluff me!!!! tell me that is very good for noise... tomolo go burn his tyre shop!!! Tanzy coming???

Probably good for noise amongst the high performance tyre category.

I love to burn tyres. Convoy down?

628x471.jpg

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.

- Albert Camus

Actually it's quite easy to "see" if a tyre is going to be noisy.

As a rule of a thumb, if it is high performance summer tyres, it will be noisier than general use tires.

Also, examine the tyre thread patterns. The bigger the blocks, the better the traction but it will make more tyre noise.

nengun-2846-02-bridgestone-potenza_-_re-11s.png

This is going to be very noisy! Little in the way to break up resonant frequencies.

2007121901qr1.jpg

This might be more acceptable for roads but still going to generate loud tyre rumble.

img_potenza_adrenalin_RE050.jpg

Smaller and more divide blocks, so less lightly to resonate.

TuranzaER30.png

Even quieter.

COURSERMT.jpg

Nightmare! It will sound like the cookie monster is chewing through your rubber. Thick blocks acting like hammers striking the road.

The softer the sidewall of the tyre, the less amount of road noise will be transmitted into the chassis. Performance tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls.

A lower profile tyre will also be noiser than high profile tyre.

Stretched tyres (rim wider than tyres) will be noisier than a properly seated or squeezed tyres.

500x_stretched_tire.jpg

• Like 3

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.

- Albert Camus

Probably good for noise amongst the high performance tyre category.

I love to burn tyres. Convoy down?

628x471.jpg

Swee... Who else is cumming?

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Swee... Who else is cumming?

You want bus or lorry?? Pricing charges is different.

You want bus or lorry?? Pricing charges is different.

Please send quote for a heavily modded C class coupe... preferably white in colour....

Please send quote for a heavily modded C class coupe... preferably white in colour....

He charge by the seconds, better avoid him.

He charge by the seconds, better avoid him.

No wonder he can afford to mod so heavily..... they were sponsored....

No wonder he can afford to mod so heavily..... they were sponsored....

No lah, he is born to mods!! His parent say one!! His first word is "Mercs"!!.

So stylo... my first words were " PONG!!! 自摸满!!!" My Ah Gong say one...

So stylo... my first words were " PONG!!! 自摸满!!!" My Ah Gong say one...

He he... my first word when born is ask for pocket money....  my ah bu say one...

• 2 weeks later...