• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MY CAR CANNOT START

Westlake

went out for a drive this morning, came back and park my car. Now it just will not start. No lights on the instrument cluster and no cranking sound of the starter. Turn key from 0 position to 2 position without any sound. What can be the problem? my ride is a pre-owned W204, with 49700 km mileage. Appreciate any advise. Thanks.

My car is a 2007 C200k with only 49700 km on the clock. There is light, horn etc and last servicing checked battery and it was 100%. So not battery fault I believe. Starter? Maybe, but when I insert key into the ignition, there is no sound like the release of the steering lock. I hope it is not the "green key" issue which I read about. Anyone care to share similar experience. I am under a 1 yr pre-own warranty from CnC as car was bought from Republic auto.

My car is a 2007 C200k with only 49700 km on the clock. There is light, horn etc and last servicing checked battery and it was 100%. So not battery fault I believe. Starter? Maybe, but when I insert key into the ignition, there is no sound like the release of the steering lock. I hope it is not the "green key" issue which I read about. Anyone care to share similar experience. I am under a 1 yr pre-own warranty from CnC as car was bought from Republic auto.

Could be your key is faulty... u still have e spare rite? Try that... or use the auxiliary key... should hear a click sound to lock in the key...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

checked gear in Park, and use spare key but still cannot start. Check battery during servicing 2 weeks ago and it register 100%. If alternator is not charging shouldn't a light appear on the instrument panel before the battery runs flat? Did not see such light. I hope it is the battery also, a cheaper problem.

Thanks bro, but the only thing I have not tried is to jump start. I may need to get a spare battery as my car is parked head in inside my car porch. May call CnC towing service tomorrow and when tow truck comes, ask to jump start first. If it is battery fault, do we need to pay tow truck service?

I get shivers when i read your problems..

I hope and pray for you it's not the Green Key issue and if it is, you better make sure your warranty covers it cos it wont be cheap!

I had the exact same problem and cos my warranty company (TWM) went bust i forked out 5k to fix it and it took 2 weeks!

Thanks to all forum bros for the invaluable advise. I had the car "towed", actually it was piggy back on the tow truck ( star assist ) to CnC Pandan loop. The SA told me car will be ready by Friday at the earliest. They seem to know what the problem is. But here lies the tricky part. I told SA my car is covered by 1 year pre-own warranty, having bought it 1 month ago from Republic Auto. I asked if that means I get it rectified FOC. He says will need to check and revert back to me by tomorrow. I asked why? He says some things are not covered. Then I showed him my warranty certificate which list all items covered. He then say that what is not covered may not be listed. Then I said someone must take over the warranty claim, whether it is CnC ( which Republic pays for the warranty ) or Republic itself. Looks like need to bang table to resolve this. Purpose of buying from Republic is peace of mind, even though we pay a higher price for our ride, it comes with 1 year pre-own warranty. Now they tolak each other. Will wait for outcome tomorrow..

Experienced a similar problem with my c class. Wriggle the steering hard left and right and turn the key on and off at the same time. Magically started for me.

For those with a foul mouth, u may try letting off a few **** while doing so.

Your car will know you are boss and mean business.

Yes, you can rock the steering and do all the things to get it started, but the problem remains. So it is only a temporary solution. The only option is to send in the car to CnC and have the steering lock replaced and "green key" activated.

Just to update fellow forumers on the outcome. Car sent to Pandan Loop on Wed afternoon and by evening, SA called to say that it will be repaired. The damage: approx $1.800. I mentioned pre-own warranty and SA changed tune to say that warranty has expired. When I quoted warranty cert. no, he changed tune again and say that warranty do not cover this defect. What the f- - - -. I told them I will call Republic Auto. At Republic, the SE said that See&See decides what is covered and not covered. You see how they tolak each other! Finally the SA called me that his manager has checked and will rectify the defect ( green key ) under warranty. However, he ask me whether I could help out on the labour cost of approx $130. Not to delay repairs further, I agreed. One forumer is right to say that See&See will insist we pay something! After much call, follow up, the ready date of my car was changed from 2 days to 7 days and finally to 2 days. Excuses given include (1) no part must order from Germany (2) another customer suddenly cancel the repair and release the part! Incredible excuse. Anyway, car ready in 2 days and collected car on a Saturday morning. It works fine now, and the repaired steering lock security system comes with a 2 year warranty. Not a bad deal - for $130. Thanks to all forumers for your invaluable advise.

• Like 3

Just to update fellow forumers on the outcome. Car sent to Pandan Loop on Wed afternoon and by evening, SA called to say that it will be repaired. The damage: approx $1.800. I mentioned pre-own warranty and SA changed tune to say that warranty has expired. When I quoted warranty cert. no, he changed tune again and say that warranty do not cover this defect. What the f- - - -. I told them I will call Republic Auto. At Republic, the SE said that See&See decides what is covered and not covered. You see how they tolak each other! Finally the SA called me that his manager has checked and will rectify the defect ( green key ) under warranty. However, he ask me whether I could help out on the labour cost of approx $130. Not to delay repairs further, I agreed. One forumer is right to say that See&See will insist we pay something! After much call, follow up, the ready date of my car was changed from 2 days to 7 days and finally to 2 days. Excuses given include (1) no part must order from Germany (2) another customer suddenly cancel the repair and release the part! Incredible excuse. Anyway, car ready in 2 days and collected car on a Saturday morning. It works fine now, and the repaired steering lock security system comes with a 2 year warranty. Not a bad deal - for $130. Thanks to all forumers for your invaluable advise.

like I once said... primitive measures often works best.... cos these jokers always think we are really carrots...or turnips.... KNN...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

what did they say was the cause of the problem. Possible share the findings.