• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 servicing

peckhs

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I have a W124 300TE, everything is fine with the car, however, I realised that when idling, there seems to be some vibrations. Sort of like misfiring, but my regular workshop claims it is not mis-firing.

It feels like it sorts of skip a beat now and then..

I would appreciate if someone can recommend a workshop with very good experience with W124, and patient enough to identify the problem and sort it out.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and am thinking of getting my first ever Merc. I don't mind it to be older as long as proven reliability is there. Have been looking around recently and found a 1994 W124 E200 selling close to $9,000. Seems like pretty well maintained. One year COE left. I wanted to ask for an STA check, but dealer says no need. And if done, is a Grade C acceptable?

By the way, can it survive heavy traffic jams? Heard the W124 has radiator issues?

Look forward to advices from all the Si Fu here.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

9K for one year left is dam expensive. Look for those to 2018/2019 COE. They are only around 25k to 30K and its more worth it. W124 can survive heavy jams very well provided the cooling system is maintained properly. Flush the system and use only MB coolant. Make sure the thermostat is working properly and the temp fan switch is working as well. The temperature should only be around 85 degrees during normal use and maybe about 90 plus at jams. Anything more and you are looking for trouble. The auxilarry fan is linked to the air con so make sure its working also. It will kick in at around 80 degrees with the air con on. STA is pretty much useless and old cars are filled with defered maintenance issues. If you have no knowledge on how to maintain cars, I strongly suggest you get something newer unless you really want to learn slowly. In that case, ask more questions and get someone who is experienced to go down and take a look at the car with you. Alternatively, you might want to try AA inspection service as they are supposedl better than STA. Hope i'm not too late in replying you as most of us with W124s hang out at the W124 Singapore facebook page. You can join us there.

Thanks for reply Benzw124. Actually it's 1.3 years COE left. I negotiated down to $8k, so depre is reduced to 6.4k. The seller also gives 1 months full repair warranty as he is very confident of the performance and condition. So far so good and has driven to M'sia, jammed for 30min, going superbly well and quiet. Love the 16v engine. Yes, you're right, temperate needle hovers at around 83 degC even during traffic jams.

Used one full tank so far and worked out FC to be around 9km/L. I think not too bad, as I blast air-con in the last week before I top up again driving my relative from Canada around town. I'm really betting COE to come down next year.

Love to join you guys if there is any meet up sometime?

Meet ups are rather informal. Happens about once or twice a month when a few of us are free. Your car seems to be in pretty good condition then as mine overheated like crazy the moment I started using it hahah. Search for "Mercedes Benz W124 Singapore" and join us to see when the meetups occur.