• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

90/100w bulb in W124?

W124

Recently, i purchased a pair of H4 bulbs that supposedly emit white light.

Always wanted to get the xenon effect.

Decided to buy a pair online.

Only problem was that i wasn't looking carefully at the description and ordered 90/100w H4 bulbs.

I know that the stock is 55/60w

Would i be able to use them without any problems to the car's circuitry?

Only problem was that i wasn't looking carefully at the description and ordered 90/100w H4 bulbs.

IMHO,

U should not use them!

These are high wattage bulbs and they draw high current and can run very hot!

Bulb holder may melt over time or worse case the bulb might explode due to the high heat and ruin your headlamp.

I had once unknowingly the car accessories shop installed a pair of high wattage bulb in my fogs.

One of the bulb exploded and ruin the fog.

The shop ended up replacing a new fog lamp for me!

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Alright looks like i'll buy a new set of bulbs and put the high wattage bulbs in a vehicle i don't give a damn about.

Do you think i should get 55/60w white bulbs from ebay or should i just go for diamond vision from Philips?

i had used diamond vision , but after 6 mths my bulbs holders all melted . initially tot maybe its wear and tear, so change bulb holders lor, but it happen again 2 more times , so decided to go back to yellow .

I thought diamond vision is 55w/60w?

Yes! Philips Diamond Vision is 55W!

Cheers

But if it's 55w then why did the bulb holder melt?

Could be other problem!! :)

Cheers

It's abit hit and miss for the older darlings like the W124 as the wiring harness is approx 20+ years young! Hope you find a suitable set of bulbs anyway.

In addition to the headlights, try to adhere to the stock 0.4w bulbs for the interior bits (aircon knob etc) if you can find them otherwise they will be hot to the touch and will melt the holders/knob in the long run.

• Like 1

which is why till now i still can't figure it out? but 1 mechanic told me to change to HID instead of using white bulbs , bulb holders shouldn't melt.

I might consider doing a HID retrofit once i find a suitable w124 with enough COE to make swapping an engine in worthwhile.

Anyway how much does a new bulb holder and headlight assembly cost?

I might consider doing a HID retrofit once i find a suitable w124 with enough COE to make swapping an engine in worthwhile.

Anyway how much does a new bulb holder and headlight assembly cost?

Your W124 is H4

If you wanna to do a HID retrofit, there's a brand new set sitting at AutoSpritze I believe going for a good price.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...