• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

A6 or 5series

hatch

Looks wise, I think e 520 is beautiful. In fact everything looks great on paper.

I do have concerns over the reliability of e car and it's after sales.

A6, is new. I love those LEDs. Interior is best I've seen.

People has been telling to watch the resale.

By the way, anyone knows what gearbox is that? I k ow its cvt, but how many speed is that?

Is it e same as those on the new 1.8 a4?

Looks wise, I think e 520 is beautiful. In fact everything looks great on paper.

By the way, anyone knows what gearbox is that? I k ow its cvt, but how many speed is that?

It's the 2.0 and 2.8 TSFI engine.... But their engine are also known for engine oil consumption... While 520 has got gearbox and oil leak problem...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

On paper, you are right that the 520 looks good except for the OMV. You will be surprised how low it actually is.

On driving, the 520 certainly drives better than the A6. The CVT or Multitronic GB is best kept for grannies. If you like spirited driving, you will want to know which gear you are at at your finger tip....something that CVT lacks. The rubberband like gear shifts is a sore point that I cannot adapt. However, the FC for CVT is still the best at the moment.

I'm not sure about oil leaks for this new BMW 2.0T, but it was major issue for the 6 cylinders 523 etc.

520 all the way. It's handling is damn good. In my opinion, only Interior scores the best for A6. I am not sure if A6 has solved the GB reliability issue!

Din know there's gb issue on e A6. Read its capable of 400nm.

Is tis e same gb as those on e new a4?

I'm not sure about oil leaks for this new BMW 2.0T, but it was major issue for the 6 cylinders 523 etc.

For the oil leak issue with V6/523, I heard that it is regular for owners to top up engine oil. If one doesn't mind to regular top-up.

1) would this oil leak lead to other engine problem ? (I have not owned a Bimmer yet, so asking to learn)

2) Besides V6/523, '08/'09 335 has the same oil leak issue ?

Thanks in advance.

For the oil leak issue with V6/523, I heard that it is regular for owners to top up engine oil. If one doesn't mind to regular top-up.

1) would this oil leak lead to other engine problem ? (I have not owned a Bimmer yet, so asking to learn)

2) Besides V6/523, '08/'09 335 has the same oil leak issue ?

Thanks in advance.

It's an in line straight 6, not V6. The leak was due to poor quality gasket on the engine block.

• Like 1

A6. Prepare for gear box problem

5Series prepare engine oil inside your boot to top up whenever the level is oil.

My -1 cents view - E class sedan. Now C&C promotion on great E- class sales. Next year 1st quarter will have the FL E class

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.

A6. Prepare for gear box problem

5Series prepare engine oil inside your boot to top up whenever the level is oil.

My -1 cents view - E class sedan. Now C&C promotion on great E- class sales. Next year 1st quarter will have the FL E class

I guess there is no engine oil eating issues reported on N20 F10 engines. But, it is not so long since N20s are released. Three famous colours of E series MB are going to be taxis!

BM 5 series, you got to get at least 525 and above. my previous ride was 320, the oil leakage is bad.. almost every alternate month you got to top up engine oil. So before 3 years is up, you got to sell it off. that is when the problem of leaking will come..

BM 5 series, you got to get at least 525 and above. my previous ride was 320, the oil leakage is bad.. almost every alternate month you got to top up engine oil. So before 3 years is up, you got to sell it off. that is when the problem of leaking will come..

If one doesn't mind to top up, what engine problem this oil leak going to cause ?

now no more 525.

520 n 528 sharing the same block.

No jag for me. Resale sucks.

E xf feels kinda sluggish.

Went down to try e A5 again today.

Great drive over the 520. It just pulls n pulls effortlessly. The 528 isnt as fun thou sharing almost the same power.

I cant imagine the a5 after a stage1.

But is it actually a fair comparision? its always the Eclass, 5 series n A6 in a class.

They always compare the A5/A4 with the 3 series instead

If one doesn't mind to top up, what engine problem this oil leak going to cause ?

One day it will leak more than you remember to top up...by then..... you do the sums... and the engine oil they use is no cheap...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

My ex was xxx , I am not a boy racer type. ( I am just a player )

Top up 1 litter every 400 km = $25 per litter ( joke aside)

My "Mod" are : Modded gasket trice ,Modded Vanos , vacuum pump, water pump, Fan coil unit,oil pan gasket, valve seals....

Big tickets "Mod" : Gear box $7k plus, top overhaul $ 7k plus , clutch bearings....

The list goes on and on.

Do read up at xxx forum about your concern. Don't take my word for it. I don't think Xxx has any issues.

I have evaluated my positions and moved on to MB. A totally different league (MB) I must say !

I am much happier now and have put my past behind me.

I agree with other forum members advice. Go to respective forum and read on the problems.

Most time ppl will complaint on the problems and forget about the praise of the car

E class having a new 1.6L engine with the FL so I believe the outlook will be difference from the current new taxi fleet

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.

now no more 525.

520 n 528 sharing the same block.

No jag for me. Resale sucks.

E xf feels kinda sluggish.

Went down to try e A5 again today.

Great drive over the 520. It just pulls n pulls effortlessly. The 528 isnt as fun thou sharing almost the same power.

I cant imagine the a5 after a stage1.

But is it actually a fair comparision? its always the Eclass, 5 series n A6 in a class.

They always compare the A5/A4 with the 3 series instead

I agree with you that 520's power is more than enough for our roads. But, 528 is super powerful lah! If you want power, 528 is better than 520!

with regards to the besides leaking what other problem will it brings.. what i can say is when one problem comes, u will realise that your parts will automatically fails you very soon... like radiator, valvetronic motor, etc are all famous problems for e90.. do a search on google, you will see a lot of people asking on that.. i can even give you a place where all Beemers owners buy their parts cheap from... haha.. too many problems for me to handle

Was owner of a BMW 523i F10 (2.5 l) .. tested the different makes, eg. Audi A6 2.0T, Jaguar XF 3.0 V6, Infiniti M37 and Lexus GS variants (diff days; 6 hrs at least in total) .. finally chosen the GS 350 F Sport.

Felt the BMW was a quieter ride (after some light tune) even when stressed as compared to the new sporty GS. However, the GS is easier to handle and relaxing to drive .. esp with the new suspension setup, it's easier on my bones when going over road humps and with the F Sport "sport +" on, going around bends is a breeze.

Have been driving the car for more than 3 months now .. choice of luxurious comfort or sporty drive at the twist of a knob .. handling of the car is fantastic .. power without control is useless and Lexus has done well in this aspect with the "sport +" mode.

This is definitely a more comfortable and an easier car to drive than my 523i F10, though of course I would not be comparing apple to apple. The car has 2 extreme personalities that catered to my needs very well, eco mode for weekday driving and sport + for the weekends .. bcos I shared the car with my wife and I drive more over weekends. Problem free so far except for the occasional screeching of brakes which I do hv such sound from my 523i previously .. but since Lexus pride itself as in pursuit of perfection .. sent in and problem resolved with changing of brake disc and pads free. As for car performance .. The 316 hp esp in sport + and occasional peddle down is more than enough to meet my sporty driving, which the 523i was a little lacking. The pipe-in engine sound has also reduced with a bottle of ceratec .. in fact , I would use manual shift at times to hold the gear longer or i will rev harder in the eco mode to enjoy the Yamaha tuned engine/exhaust note .. love it better than the mark levinson sound system.

131012-1_zps3c3224ed.jpg

131012-2_zpsdd29241d.jpg

Getting slightly more than 10km/l. The fuel consumption for the GS 350 F Sport is almost comparable to my previous 523i F10, unless you pushed it real hard in the Sport+ mode. Reading shows can travel more than 600km for a full tank.

I read something abt the car having dual injection of petrol .. the direct injection at higher speed actaully gives good fuel consumption. The bottle of liquid moli ceratec may have also helped .. as I find the engine at idle is also quieter.

So far .. happy with my new ride : )