• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

What does white smoke from the exhaust tells you?

Archangel_01

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, got these problem in the morning today. Juz now in the morning as I started the car, saw a huge cloud of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Anyone can enlighten me on these?

Thx

Doesn't look good, my limited understanding :

1) Check engine oil level, (is the engine burning oil ?)

2) Possible Coolant leakage and find its way into engine ?

Time to look for your mechanic.

Is your car new? White smoke for most modern cars in the morning is a healthy sign. That's water vapour....it shows that your engine combustion is healthy. This appears in the cold morning becos the catalytic converter is still not heated up to working temp yet, thereby emitting white fumes while idling. When revved, you don't see the fumes.

Actually my car is due for servicing. Will be doing it Tomolo. But this morning ard 1130am, suddenly when crank start the car there's a cloud of fume. And when I rev it hard ........ More smoke for awhile than back to normal. Anyway mines a 2nd hand from PI. Sianz

Proton Wira, Hyundai Matrix, Nissan Cefiro, Subaru Exiga GT, Mercedes E250 CGI

I agree with Jtang, momentary steam emission (white smoke) is indication of engine ok.

Unless its really smoke for long and other indication as suggested like oil level drop, water level drop, then is a concern.

Wow. Till the day I took delivery, I onli check on the engine oil tats I think its still Okie when its hot. Water level I didn't check and the rest of it. The problem with buying a car from someone u noe, is u tend to believe he will do a nice job before handing over the car. Sianzzzzz

Proton Wira, Hyundai Matrix, Nissan Cefiro, Subaru Exiga GT, Mercedes E250 CGI

• 2 years later...

• 3 weeks later...

My car still emit white smoke in the morning,after draining out the engine oil,

Went to workshop,they said could be the turbo.

I want to make sure the workshop diagnose correctly.

Is there anyway  to confirm,it is the turbo that is giving the problem.

I want to make sure and  no mistake because

It will cost about S$2000,to change the turbo,

Please anyone can advise,

LF918 you have gone through.Any comments?

My car still emit white smoke in the morning,after draining out the engine oil,

Went to workshop,they said could be the turbo.

I want to make sure the workshop diagnose correctly.

Is there anyway  to confirm,it is the turbo that is giving the problem.

I want to make sure and  no mistake because

It will cost about S$2000,to change the turbo,

Please anyone can advise,

LF918 you have gone through.Any comments?

IMHO

Cold start in the morning a little white smoke is from condensation.

When your engine reached running temperature, get someone to step on the gas pedal & rev the engine.

If there are continuous gush of white smoke you may have problem of oil getting into your engine combustion chamber,

It can be due to blown engine gasket or worn piston compression or oil ring.

If there are no white smoke and your engine do not over heat, go enjoy your ride and don't get over concern.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Imo... The workshop seems like not bothered with the diagnosis, don't know that they are doing or trying to mislead into unnecessary repair.

If the attention is on the turbo, could it be oil seeping into the turbo? But that needs to replace the whole turbo meh?

Perhaps u want to seek a second opinion on this.

If the white smoke vapourises quickly it's most likely water vapour nothing to worry about..

Another thing to take note is on the smell. It's a mixture of exhaust, unburnt fuel and water vapour.

But if it smells like something burning super super smelly like burning rubber!!! Please go get it check..

The white smoke should only sustain until you engine is at optimal temperature. Especially nowadays weather so cooling in the morning..

• 1 month later...

Just curious what is the cause of it and how is it related to the turbo?

turbo oil leak

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

• 2 years later...
On 25 January 2015 at 8:31 AM, Bullterrier said:

Mine has same issue previously. C&C said an oil seal need replacement. Changed and now problem gone.

Hi, I've just got out of cycle and carriage and was told the diagnosis itself is $200 plus plus regardless of whether I would go ahead with the repair. 

May I ask how much an oil seal replacement cost? If it's less than $200 then I would feel like a carrot on the chopboard, so to speak 🙄