• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Please don't road hog

Babolat

Road Hogging is an Offence. Many people think that when they are going at the maximum speed limit of the road, they have the right of way.

I was travelling on AYE towards Tuas this morning during peak hour.

And this Black SKD plated C180 was happily hogging on the overtaking lane <80km/hr; ahead is a stretch of 15-18 car length.

If you like to drive in the most fuel economy way, please get a bicycle and travel on PCN to your destination.

Lane 1 is for overtaking. And doesn't mean you are travelling close to the speed limit of 90km/hr; you have the right of way. Please be consider and move off to lane 2 or 3 if right leg is really that weak.

Road hogging is proscribed under Rule 5 of the Road Traffic Rules, which states that (a) every vehicle which is moving at a slow rate of speed shall be driven as close to the left-hand side of the roadway as possible, and (B) every vehicle shall at all times be driven in such manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed. Breach of that Rule is an offence under Section 131 of the Road Traffic Act, which attracts a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine or 3 months’ imprisonment for the first offence, and a $2,000 fine or 6 months’ imprisonment for a second or subsequent offence. Where a person is convicted of the offence, four demerit points will also be awarded under the Driver Improvement Points System.

http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MTE2NA%3D%3D-BEsQs%2F32Gnc%3D

• Like 1

As long as I am tailgating you, you are slow and wrong to be in that lane, doesn't matter if you are doing 90 or 150 km/h.

A lot of Singapore drivers do not know how to use expressway. I can't blame them because our expressway are simply not design to function like an autobahn. Anyway, I confess I am guilty, I am the devil that will tailgate and overtake from left on those who hog lane 1.

• Like 5

As long as I am tailgating you, you are slow and wrong to be in that lane, doesn't matter if you are doing 90 or 150 km/h.

A lot of Singapore drivers do not know how to use expressway. I can't blame them because our expressway are simply not design to function like an autobahn. Anyway, I confess I am guilty, I am the devil that will tailgate and overtake from left on those who hog lane 1.

YEA! hate those hoggers at lane 1 then when you overtake them they will give you a F face like as if they did nothing wrong at all while every single car behind them is overtaking.

I hate those driver Slowing down when ahead the traffic light on red. But these joker forgotten that driver going turning left or right are being block by them if in a small road.

Also during nite time so many jokers forgotten to switch on their headlight!! Is freaking dangerous when driving without the headlight on. Is like countless time i got to speed up & signal these joker to switch on their headlight, end up they were thinking i wanna do a drag with them!! So u guys shld appreciate mercs comes with auto headlight & cant be switch it off.

I think most experienced road users here are ethical and considerate drivers; only a smallllll handful of black sheep.

I see on most forums, drivers complaint being tailgated. But never did they realize they are the culprit for road hogging.

Hate it especially when it happens during peak hours........people may be in a rush and yet you are driving like you're the only one paying road tax.

Rule of thumb is:

As long as the car behind you is faster, you should just move over to left (whenever possible) for the car behind to overtake regardless of whatever speed you're at.

• Like 3

Yes....I second this, I do the same thing as well....And I won't bother to signal for such road hoggers.

• Like 1

One question base on experience. On center lane a stretch of 8 cars moving happily at <80, i decided to overtake all at 95 kmh. Impatient driver tailgate me on lane 1 while i am trying to overtake those 8 happy drivers. Am i considered road hogging? Which is not my intent. i just want move faster as well without dropping points.

One question base on experience. On center lane a stretch of 8 cars moving happily at <80, i decided to overtake all at 95 kmh. Impatient driver tailgate me on lane 1 while i am trying to overtake those 8 happy drivers. Am i considered road hogging? Which is not my intent. i just want move faster as well without dropping points.

hmm,, actually its base on individual and different scenario , lets say if you are overtaking 8 drivers at 95kmh which their speed is <80, then i think MOST of the "impatient driver" will be understanding so long as you quickly move back and not block their road. Lets spare a thought for other road users that pay roadtax too, maybe some of the "impatient driver" are really in a rush to see their loved ones in hospital or really life and death urgent matters.So everytime just give in to others on the road , for example if they really zooming so fast , then you let them pass first and follow behind them and slowly overtake the 8 drivers rather than what most scum do ( see side mirror, put indicator( or some even never put), then swiftly steer in and start hogging then causes the fast car behind to jam brake and when the fast car overtake them, they still give a f face like as if they really do nothing wrong and is still "fast" on lane 1) . Still , if you are trying to attempt to overtake 8 drivers i think you should go faster than 95kmh or dont 1 shot try to overtake so many drivers la -.-'' maybe 4 drivers then check rear mirror , if no ppl tailgating you then continue overtake lo . still i must say its base on individual and differnt scenario la :)

P.S. i type a super long paragraph but accidentally press backspace , all gone.. so this is the shorter summarize version . LOL :D

You are still slower than me since I am tailgating you. It doesn't matter what you want to do, overtake 8 cars or not, it's still hogging.

The right way would be to move into other lane and let the faster car pass.

Thanks for your reply bro MercZai. The 8 cars were like as if driving convoy style. About 2 car space in between. All different make. So really no chance to cut between. When finally overtook, i quickly move to lane 2. And let mr Audi go ahead. Never intended to hog. Guess what, saw white volvo pulled mr Audi over further down. Then i realise why the 8 cars so kuai.

hmm,, actually its base on individual and different scenario , lets say if you are overtaking 8 drivers at 95kmh which their speed is <80, then i think MOST of the "impatient driver" will be understanding so long as you quickly move back and not block their road. Lets spare a thought for other road users that pay roadtax too, maybe some of the "impatient driver" are really in a rush to see their loved ones in hospital or really life and death urgent matters.So everytime just give in to others on the road , for example if they really zooming so fast , then you let them pass first and follow behind them and slowly overtake the 8 drivers rather than what most scum do ( see side mirror, put indicator( or some even never put), then swiftly steer in and start hogging then causes the fast car behind to jam brake and when the fast car overtake them, they still give a f face like as if they really do nothing wrong and is still "fast" on lane 1) . Still , if you are trying to attempt to overtake 8 drivers i think you should go faster than 95kmh or dont 1 shot try to overtake so many drivers la -.-'' maybe 4 drivers then check rear mirror , if no ppl tailgating you then continue overtake lo . still i must say its base on individual and differnt scenario la :)

P.S. i type a super long paragraph but accidentally press backspace , all gone.. so this is the shorter summarize version . LOL :D

Hehehe the last time i overtake abt 10 cars in NS from left. Guess what!! the middle one is a Boleh TP car!! The rest is history....

Thanks for your reply bro MercZai. The 8 cars were like as if driving convoy style. About 2 car space in between. All different make. So really no chance to cut between. When finally overtook, i quickly move to lane 2. And let mr Audi go ahead. Never intended to hog. Guess what, saw white volvo pulled mr Audi over further down. Then i realise why the 8 cars so kuai.

HAHAHA! mr audi so suay.. thats why we must be vigilant, if all 8 driver so good boy sure got white devils camping somewhere, else is when you see why suddenly so many ppl in front start to have their brakelights on for nothing haha! so when i overtake i very kiasi 1, i will check rear mirror then check all lanes, since i got perfect eyesight i can look far far away, LOL , even at night i can see their small little white lighted top in between the blue and red light. then when approaching under the bridge or got overhead bridge must slow down so those white devil camping there wont catch you :D

Hehehe the last time i overtake abt 10 cars in NS from left. Guess what!! the middle one is a Boleh TP car!! The rest is history....

Wa ! malaysia boleh !! in the end how? give some kopi lui? hehe ! i still remember 15-20 years ago when i was a little kid , my uncle bought a device that can scan where the nearby boleh TP at, i always wonder how it works man ! even till today :D

well some tri Angle remembers Lane 1 is for slowest lane lor. but now Lane 1 is for overtaking lanes la and Lane 3 is for slowest lane

then this Tri Angle must have passed lisen some 20 years ago... but that time no Tri Angle leh...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

If I'm not rushing, I'll overtake e idiot then drive at 50kph in front of him.

I'll make sure he is unable to overtake me.

just did it an hour ago , after getting my blackvue from kevintok at tampines . %@(#)_!! ROAD HOGGER !!

have to be careful too if you want to do that, ironically if the TP so happens to see you doing that, you can yourself be pulled over for road hogging. Or if that road hogger is actually a terrible driver and hantum you from behind, although he/she pays for your damange but you end up without your beautiful car for 1 week. Sometimes the heat might gets the better of us, and we might do something quite dangerous at the spur of the moment. But when we seat down in a cool manner we might think it is not worth our effort teaching such hogs. Because to these hogs they think they are always right and others are always wrong.
  • Like 1

have to be careful too if you want to do that, ironically if the TP so happens to see you doing that, you can yourself be pulled over for road hogging. Or if that road hogger is actually a terrible driver and hantum you from behind, although he/she pays for your damange but you end up without your beautiful car for 1 week. Sometimes the heat might gets the better of us, and we might do something quite dangerous at the spur of the moment. But when we seat down in a cool manner we might think it is not worth our effort teaching such hogs. Because to these hogs they think they are always right and others are always wrong.

One fine day when I have the time, let's meet for some Sapporo Beer. Chill