• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Is Merc (C180/200) more problem free over 320i

SpeedMerc

Alot of times it's not the car that gives u problem... its the service centre... you find that it's a chore just to get them so you can book your servicing... then when the car got problem... you got bigger headache cos SE will siam you and service centre will start their TAI CHI mass display... that is when you will miss MB reliability... but I do know BMW is well know for their gearbox problem.. Most of my BMW pals have this... it's just sooner or later.. By then warranty no more... they will say gearbox blown... change 15-20K...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Hi,

I'm agreed with all the above sentences, most of my pals BMW 523i have developed engine problems ( serious issues ! ) some even go to the extend of suing them to get an engine changed !

whatever it is, conti service centre are out to slice, chop and roll over us.

3 series should have lesser problem compare with the 5 series because it is more mechanical.

Its the driver not the car. BMW driver is different from Merc driver - in my opinion. They believe they are superman. I believe we are human enjoying live. Also BMW is a performance car and Merc is a luxury car so the fundamental is already different. The up keep is always higher for performance car.

3 series should have lesser problem compare with the 5 series because it is more mechanical.

Its the driver not the car. BMW driver is different from Merc driver - in my opinion. They believe they are superman. I believe we are human enjoying live. Also BMW is a performance car and Merc is a luxury car so the fundamental is already different. The up keep is always higher for performance car.

Bro...think you are living in the 90s still. Merc is not some tow kay car anymore...performance is on par or better than BMW depending on model. I wouldn't have bought a Merc if it doesn't perform well despite the luxury badge.

• Like 2

Bro...think you are living in the 90s still. Merc is not some tow kay car anymore...performance is on par or better than BMW depending on model. I wouldn't have bought a Merc if it doesn't perform well despite the luxury badge.

Bro, i am definitely not living in the 90s. I am only 30+. I am taking in general (general model - not sport model)about the responsive of merc vs bmw. Ask around and you will know that it is wrong to compare merc and bmw. They are just not the same.

Before I bought my car, I tested BMW 320, 520, E250 and C180. I love the 5 series most but its only financially wise that I buy C class because I pay only about $700 a month for this car. Whereas, a 5 series will cost me $1200 a month for 5 years. I do know what I am talking about.

haha...good debating session. (Luxury vs Power)

Let's put it in this way.. Follow our leader " Singapore President" Mercedes has been used by ALL our presidential/PM level (on the prestige badge)....To-date,have you ever seen any BMW/VOLVO during National Day chauffeur them in. :startle: .

BMW/Volvo/Subaru WRX - Expressway Traffic Police

Toyota/Nissan - Neighborhood Police

But again, living at this century,Merc also can deliver Power and Speed. (But pls dun to it at SG, cos BMW/Volvo/Subaru WRX traffic police will still overrun your ass...)

I chose to follow our Singapore Leaders....heee (Selected SuperBrand-The 3 Pointed star Bar) :rock:

Buy brand new within 3 yrs warranty period sure no prob. Got prob bang table can resolve. Cars older than 3 yrs old, even Toyota also will have probs. Wear and tear.

Clap clap!!!

Cheers

Bro, i am definitely not living in the 90s. I am only 30+. I am taking in general (general model - not sport model)about the responsive of merc vs bmw. Ask around and you will know that it is wrong to compare merc and bmw. They are just not the same.

Before I bought my car, I tested BMW 320, 520, E250 and C180. I love the 5 series most but its only financially wise that I buy C class because I pay only about $700 a month for this car. Whereas, a 5 series will cost me $1200 a month for 5 years. I do know what I am talking about.

Ask around to know about BMW & Merc? No need.... I have owned BMWs & Mercs since 90s. I even ventured to a couple of Lexus before the driving appeal of a Merc made me come back. While it's debatable...the ultimate decision still lies with buyer who may rely more on his passion than affordability.

Let's put it in this way.. Follow our leader " Singapore President" Mercedes has been used by ALL our presidential/PM level (on the prestige badge)....To-date,have you ever seen any BMW/VOLVO during National Day chauffeur them in. :startle: .

But again, living at this century,Merc also can deliver Power and Speed. (But pls dun to it at SG, cos BMW/Volvo/Subaru WRX traffic police will still overrun your ass...)

I chose to follow our Singapore Leaders....heee (Selected SuperBrand-The 3 Pointed star Bar) :rock:

Our Grandfather uses Lexus 460 leh...how ah

Do you mean the current new 320i or the previous model.

Ask around to know about BMW & Merc? No need.... I have owned BMWs & Mercs since 90s. I even ventured to a couple of Lexus before the driving appeal of a Merc made me come back. While it's debatable...the ultimate decision still lies with buyer who may rely more on his passion than affordability.

lol... then whats there to talk about? The question here is not about affordability. You live in your own world. This is planet earth.

If the word affordability is meant for me then I suggest you either pm me or start a new post. why waste your time and mine? Most probably its my fault to bring it up. What I was saying is, there is better investment then to blow your money on car. I have years of years to upgrade my car. why in the hurry.

Missed out

Audi - Our Army Brigade General

Compare C180 to 320i - compare most hot cars:

320i to the C180 the latter steering is a bit light to my liking, 320i steering have more feel to the direction of road.

Power wise 320i is definitely more powerful but its 400cc higher. Not want to compare to C200 as is an older car. Although response of C160 is better than C200 (maybe C200 more comfort design).

However 320i pricing is too high...so maybe A4, but not much people buy, resale and dry clutch of a concern? Merc and BMW resale is gd and mechical should be better than A4...

So no more cars left to choose for the fussy driver!

Wait for the 316 then we can compare with the c180 to see whats the difference. Both 1.6 L category. Saw spec of 316, producing only 136 or 138 hp.

Actually quite interesting, 5 years ago they occupy cat B coe, now occupy cat a. Even the vw passat now enter cat a space.