• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 engine swap

W124

My current 16V W124's COE is gonna end early next year.

Based on existing COE prices, it's not wise to renew the COE for my current W124.

I like the car but it's nearly impossible to find a 16V W124 with COE til 2019.

The only W124s in the market with COE til 2019 are those with the 8V engine.

I test drove the W124 with the 8V engine, it didn't feel as powerful as my 16V engine.

My question here is whether or not it is possible to swap a 16V engine into a W124(COE til 2019) with an 8V engine and not have any problems passing the yearly inspection when they pop the hood....

i think quite possible leh. lta accepts engine changes, say due to damage beyond economical repair.

so if you convince that the 8v is damn badly damaged, and you cannot find a compatible 8v, then you can put in your 16v. since more or less the engine capacity is the same.

the catch is, how to convince the chap at lta that you can't find another good & reasonable & compatible 8v. lol...

If U want to have clarifications, write or go to LTA engineering department!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

most 16v are 2013/2015,

LTA, hmmm wait long la,

maybe its me, i driven both, yes in terms of hp, 16v is better, 16v has better speed., i feel response wise, 8v seems to response better lei..

anyway grey areas of swap, 8v to 2.3, 16v to 2.2, you will definitely love it as will give you better FC

8V 2L to 16V 2L - LTA should have no problem!

Dun have to wait long!

U want Unker to accompany him to LTA Engineering Dept at Sin Min? :)

• Like 1

Cheers

most 16v are 2013/2015,

LTA, hmmm wait long la,

maybe its me, i driven both, yes in terms of hp, 16v is better, 16v has better speed., i feel response wise, 8v seems to response better lei..

anyway grey areas of swap, 8v to 2.3, 16v to 2.2, you will definitely love it as will give you better FC

This is interesting...

2.2 16V gives better FC?

I'm currently getting 10km/l with my current 2.0 16V

What FC can i expect with a 2.2 16V?

Where can i find one of those engines?

No problem meaning i would have to ask LTA for permission and their likely response would be "okay"?

Any engine change needs LTA approval even for a direct replacement!

Your vehicle log should have the current engine numbers!

Cheers

Any engine change needs LTA approval even for a direct replacement!

Your vehicle log should have the current engine numbers!

Well I was planning to do it without LTA's approval by changing the engine numbers through a lobang i got.

Dunno whether it'll work.

Well I was planning to do it without LTA's approval by changing the engine numbers through a lobang i got.

Dunno whether it'll work.

Like in the army "Do what U wanna do just dun get caught!" :)

Cheers

Like in the army "Do what U wanna do just fun get caught!" :)

Okay what is the probability of getting caught?

Anyway if i were to go through LTA and get their permission, how long would the process take?

Will i be able to get my own workshop to do the swap or would i have to go to an LTA assigned workshop?

After the swap, would i be given some certification to say that my car has been allowed to have the 16V swapped in?

Actually i just realised something, LTA requires the engine to be of the same capacity....

Okay what is the probability of getting caught?

Anyway if i were to go through LTA and get their permission, how long would the process take?

Will i be able to get my own workshop to do the swap or would i have to go to an LTA assigned workshop?

After the swap, would i be given some certification to say that my car has been allowed to have the 16V swapped in?

Actually i just realised something, LTA requires the engine to be of the same capacity....

U asking me the chances of tio 1st prize 4D I can tell U! :)

If approved your Veh Log Engine Numbers will be changed.

Dun think they bother it's 16V or 8V as long as some "technical info" that the swap is compatiable.

IMHO - Just walk into LTA Engineering Office in Sin Ming and seek information on engine swapping.

Dun think U need to tell them 16V or 8V.

Writing to them might take ages for them to reply you!

Cheers

U asking me the chances of tio 1st prize 4D I can tell U! :)

If approved your Veh Log Engine Numbers will be changed.

Dun think they bother it's 16V or 8V as long as some "technical info" that the swap is compatiable.

IMHO - Just walk into LTA Engineering Office in Sin Ming and seek information on engine swapping.

Dun think U need to tell them 16V or 8V.

Writing to them might take ages for them to reply you!

Just say i need to put a new engine to replace my car's old engine is it?

So you sure they don't care if the 16v is 2cc more than the 8V?

What about road tax?

If that's the case i might be buying the 8V soon...

Hi there,

IMO i dont think LTA would allow swap from 8V to 16V. If you read their website carefully they seem to be pretty strict with the engine swap being a identical direct replacement of your current engine. Having said that, I have seen 8V cars with 16V engines that were done without approval and have passed inspection albeit at the owener's risk. Observe carefully when you send your car for inspection. From what ive noticed so far, the W124 engine number is hard to find and they dont have time to go round poking with so many cars being inspected everyday. So usually they just compare the number they have in the computer to the chassis plate at the slam panel of the car. As the saying goes.. do anything you want, just dont get caught. A better and less obvious swap would be a 2.0 8V to 2.3 8V engine as they are identical apart from bore size. More power, less fuel consumption and risk as well. Can be done for 3-5k depending on where you go with malaysia being your cheapest bet. However, you do have to take into account cons involved as well. How sure are you that the new engine will last? How much money can you really save in fuel if you do the swap? 3-5K can buy you tons of fuel...

Hi there,

IMO i dont think LTA would allow swap from 8V to 16V. If you read their website carefully they seem to be pretty strict with the engine swap being a identical direct replacement of your current engine. Having said that, I have seen 8V cars with 16V engines that were done without approval and have passed inspection albeit at the owener's risk. Observe carefully when you send your car for inspection. From what ive noticed so far, the W124 engine number is hard to find and they dont have time to go round poking with so many cars being inspected everyday. So usually they just compare the number they have in the computer to the chassis plate at the slam panel of the car. As the saying goes.. do anything you want, just dont get caught. A better and less obvious swap would be a 2.0 8V to 2.3 8V engine as they are identical apart from bore size. More power, less fuel consumption and risk as well. Can be done for 3-5k depending on where you go with malaysia being your cheapest bet. However, you do have to take into account cons involved as well. How sure are you that the new engine will last? How much money can you really save in fuel if you do the swap? 3-5K can buy you tons of fuel...

Yeah i've read that bit.

I have seen how the inspection was done, they just lifted my hood and closed it within 30 seconds.

Perhaps because it's a merc so they have this impression that mercedes owners don't mod their cars... Especially one which is really old..

Anyway question here is whether they'd notice that a 1990-1992 W124 is actually having a 1993 W124's engine....

• 3 weeks later...

I think you will be better off getting a halfcut. The main bits you will need is obviously the engine, wiring harness, all the different rubber bits for cooling, aircon and other misc plumbing. You will also need a different air filter box, transmission bell housing, prop shaft and rear axle as well as they have a different ratio than the 8V one. Getting the half cut will save you time especially in wiring the engine harness and ECUs and also fitting the transmission as you can just transplant the whole thing in. The prop shaft and rear axle can be obtained easily from the scrap yards as well. Figure 600 bucks for a good one, 2k-3k for a half cut and probably another grand to buy misc parts to refresh the rest of the associated running gear.

• 6 months later...