• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Canon EOS60D vs Nikon D7000

Angchug

if you've built up a collection of nikon lenses and you like the way a nikon feels in your hand, stick to nikon.

otherwise if you're tired of lugging around a dslr, a pretty good compact that delivers excellent results is the Sony RX100.

Both are good brands and are very competent cameras. Go try them out and have a feel of the camera in your hand, see which appeals to you more.

For family outings I wouldn't use a DSLR. The new G1X from Canon is good; likewise m4/3s are great too.

But, please dont buy from those IT/Comex shows, prices are usually RRP and they give you crap freebies.

I already got 2 compact camera, Canon G12 for my wife. My nikon D70 is getting old and body rubber is getting sticky, also got this feeling the focus is not very sharp even after servicing at Nikon sg. The main reason I wanted a dslr, when on holiday I could take thousand of pic and choose the good one later. I only use it 2-3 times a year and on auto mode. Looking at a suitable mid range budget S$2,000. Thanks

I already got 2 compact camera, Canon G12 for my wife. My nikon D70 is getting old and body rubber is getting sticky, also got this feeling the focus is not very sharp even after servicing at Nikon sg. The main reason I wanted a dslr, when on holiday I could take thousand of pic and choose the good one later. I only use it 2-3 times a year and on auto mode. Looking at a suitable mid range budget S$2,000. Thanks

I see... Since its actually more for holidays and on full auto mode, probably the entry level will do? But of course the mid range 60D offers much better features and specs.

1) 600D with 18-135mm $1499

2) 650D with 18-135mm $1699

2) 60D with 18-135mm $1899

3) 60D with 18-200mm $2099

Prices are RRP from Canon website. Street prices are much lower.

Im a Canon guy so not familiar with Nikon models, perhaps Nikon gurus here can advise better.

I am a lazy photographer and don't believe in spending time doing PP photoshopping for family or unimportant shots - thus out of camera shots are always important time-savers. I owned D70, D300, and finally D3. D70 out of camera is bad. D300 out of camera is passable. D3 out of camera is thumbs up. In terms of sharpness, white balance, and colour fidelity. No horse run...

I am using AFS DX 18-200mm G ED VR Len for my D70. If I go back to Nikon, should I just change the body or the whole kits. I noticed the new D7000 kits come with the same lens. Or I should dump the Nikon and get a canon 60D w 18-200m. Since I am only using it on auto mode and taking normal pic. Should I get low or high range version in order to get quality pic. I mean any diff if just point and shoot for 600D, 60D, 5D in term of pic quality? Thanks

I am using AFS DX 18-200mm G ED VR Len for my D70. If I go back to Nikon, should I just change the body or the whole kits. I noticed the new D7000 kits come with the same lens. Or I should dump the Nikon and get a canon 60D w 18-200m. Since I am only using it on auto mode and taking normal pic. Should I get low or high range version in order to get quality pic. I mean any diff if just point and shoot for 600D, 60D, 5D in term of pic quality? Thanks

Between 600D and 60D, there would not be much difference in terms of image quality (IQ). However, between full frame (5D) and non-full frame there would be a great difference in terms of IQ.

But more importantly, improve upon your framing, composition, anticipation for shots, understand lighting, etc. No point joining the endless pursuit of the latest and greatest equipments, when the basics are not there. I have seen enough high quality trashy pics, as well as amazing pictures taken with basic point and shoot, or entry level DSLR. Check out the flickr group: kit lens losers and you will understand what i mean.

Back to your question, yes generally speaking the more expensive the camera or lens, the better the IQ. So get the best that your budget allows for. Everyone loves the latest tech toy, me included :D

• Like 1

Again clubsnap say one!

The future is definitely mirrorless camera. The physical shutter of the DSLR is a barrier to faster shutter speed. Once the m4/3 AF and auto tracking software capability of mirrorless camera catch up, even the 1DX and the D4 type flagship will be history. Just a couple more years perhaps... If canon or Nikon do not come up with a capable equivalent in time, they may be joining kodak soon...

If your main purpose is just to aim shoot and print in AUTO mode.... My advice is to get the olympus XZ-1.... forget about all those DSLR camera for you are not going to use the full feature... A real solid compact camera is all you need and this is by far the best that I have seen and touched... I am using a D7000 with a basic 18-200 ans some extra lenses... this Olympus XZ-1 has a lens speed of f1.8... much better than alot of DSLR lenses.. that alone is a good feature.. And it's not really expensive... But if you are really going to buy a D7000, I would suggest that you go to Sim Lim Square and find ALAN PHOTO... pay cash and you'll get a great deal...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Again clubsnap say one!

The future is definitely mirrorless camera. The physical shutter of the DSLR is a barrier to faster shutter speed. Once the m4/3 AF and auto tracking software capability of mirrorless camera catch up, even the 1DX and the D4 type flagship will be history. Just a couple more years perhaps... If canon or Nikon do not come up with a capable equivalent in time, they may be joining kodak soon...

How fast of a shutter speed do you require? 1/8000 not enough? :phew:

How fast of a shutter speed do you require? 1/8000 not enough? :phew:

Paisei its mirror rotation, not shutter speed, mixed up in clubsnap lol. Anyway I think I OT too much on m43 liao!

So to TS, doesnt matter what camera u use lah, as long as u use it to take syt mei mei, but remember must post pic here to share share hor.

You forgot to say - Clubsnap say one hor...

For a moment I thought Unker go karung guni your D3 and I dump my D4 .....hehehe!:)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

DDelectronics sell "water goods" or grey market items.

Basically this means that their items come from cheaper sources (e.g. imported from HK or Indo) and not from the official local agents.

When it comes to warranty, same as you buy a car from PI, pray that the shop is still around when your equipments have issues! And even if they are around how far would they go to try and repair, or even replace your faulty product?

As of now, there still isn't such a thing as fake/replica camera or lenses in the market, so be assured their items are genuine.

So..... would you buy your merc from PI or CnC? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I buy from PI leh.... But there is a sticker asaying it's MADE IN GERMANY... must go check if it's EAST GERMANY....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

I did some research for my wife as she is interested in buying lens. Here is my conclusion:-

Hong Kong: About 15-20% cheaper than SGP. Unless HK is your second home, you it is not worth buying from there.

Malaysia specifically JB: 10% cheaper than SGP and you just need to go across the border for warranty repair.

Singapore: Try searching in www.ebay.com.sg and filter it off to SGP only. You will come across a guy by the name of Andrew who has 2 shops in China Town, Nice guy with good pricing and can bargain further if you buy more stuffs from him.

For searching and comparing price, I use the following website and shop for benchmark:

Hong Kong Pricing:-

http://www.price.com.hk/

Singapore Pricing:-

http://www.ebay.com.sg/

Malaysia Pricing:-

FOTO CLS in JB Find them in facebook and give them a call once you know what you want and the price.

Good Luck !