• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

K&n air filter

Jasow99

The rubber holds the filter in place, seems enough to secure it as the filter still sits in the holder. Drove one round in my estate, filter still in position. But the sound it makes, oh my! Moaning... Sound with and without cover is like night and day.

post-105-0-36487800-1345598844_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-86791300-1345598846_thumb.jpg

So the sound more shiok!?

So the sound more shiok!?

You need to try it yourself. Save money on tools, I can lend you mine.

Got extra ponies or not?

I will get one set of tool myself lah cos need to close back for my servicing again.

No idea, have not driven it on the highway yet. Only around the estate.

Yeah...sound loud, but it'd be sucking in hot air from the engine bay, isn't it?

I think hot air should not pose any major issue since most open pod cars are in such configuration.

Moreover, there still a funnel to channel in some cool air from outside... so may not be as bad as those with totally in open pod.

• Like 1

Yup, cool air still gets in from the tunnel and the box the filter sits in is still fairly enclosed. Isn't as open as what you'll find on the open pod filters.

Main concern is if the K&N E-2011 filter can withstand the higher operating temperatures. Don't know if it's designed and built for this.

I think hot air should not pose any major issue since most open pod cars are in such configuration.

Moreover, there still a funnel to channel in some cool air from outside... so may not be as bad as those with totally in open pod.

Yes and no. When the air box is covered, it's probably sucking in only cold air through the air duct; with enclosed air box, the suction from the air duct will act like a vacuum cleaner.

However when you leave the air box open, the negative pressure dropped tremendously, hence it's no longer sucking in cold air via the air duct, but rather it's sucking from the nearest source of air which is from the hot engine bay...

Just my humble opinion.

Slight drop of performance to me is still okay. Sounds good can already. Haha. Anyway, won't be using the car to compete in any races.

Just tested mine....

Prelimary observation, the sound is not too loud. Is the 'weeing' sound that is distinct to ear.

Low torque slight dropped and pick up delayed by a second... but high speed is quite smooth..

Overall, up to individual... some may like it, some may not. For me, 50-50... to test for another day before deciding.

Was just about to say the same thing after driving it for an hour or so, low end torque seems to have reduced slightly. However with Dr Hannson's TRD it's still not really affected, can't feel much lag. Towards the high end, engine revs smoother and does sound louder and more eager. Especially if you're on Sports mode, the ECU holds the high revs longer so the sound is more distinct. The soft wine of the engine does sound nice though.

Haha....It's an easy Open pod modification!!

:lol:

Yup, in theory if you already have a K&N, BMC etc. filter, this mod is FOC.

You need to try it yourself. Save money on tools, I can lend you mine.

Hi, do you know the size of this star screw?

Thought of getting the tool for it, as I usually get 2 sets of K&N filters, and I will wash and service them every 5000-7000km.

Where to buy the tool to open the star screw?

Any DIY shop should sell it. Jon used size T25, I managed to open with T20.

• 3 weeks later...

Yaya, need to see if the filter is tight fit or not... Let me know later k

Just removed cover! :zoro:

Am breathg on KNN filter fr a year plus and never came across such tot of covertg to Open Pod concept till I ve read this thread! :D

Sound shiok! :lol:

Removg cover, setup look similiar to K&N Apollo Open pod! :thumbsu:

For those who've removed the cover, do you feel that the car feels a little breathless at low revs? Response time seems to have dropped a little, really have to step hard onto the accelerator for any meaningful response. After driving with the cover open for sometime, the sound really is louder but I miss how the car response when the cover is closed.