• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Newbie getting car in August

dcaaa

Hi there, a newbie thst just signed on a B180 style.

A few questions has been pondering me after signed.

1) Is cost of ownership high?

- servicing cost each time( any package from cnc or recommend to do outside)

- Is parts expensive to get?

2) Any major issue for the B series?

- Gear/transmission issue?

- Aircon issue

-Others.

3 Most important

- Any regular meet up?

Thanks for all the advise as first time driving conti car. Driven only Toyota and Honda.

Hi and Congrats.

1. What is the package that you have signed will most probably determine whether the cost of ownership is high during the 1st 3 years. Can share the promotions and accessories that you got?

2. Been driving for slightly over 1 year, no major problems just that the gears really needed getting used to if you are only driving Toyota and Honda. TOTALLY different responses.

3. Meetup you can always join SGMERC with other models.

Hi and Congrats.

1. What is the package that you have signed will most probably determine whether the cost of ownership is high during the 1st 3 years. Can share the promotions and accessories that you got?

2. Been driving for slightly over 1 year, no major problems just that the gears really needed getting used to if you are only driving Toyota and Honda. TOTALLY different responses.

Bro. Can talk offline. PM. I will share the detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dcaaa,

I have just booked a B180 style recently. Like you, collecting around end July or early Sept. First time owning a conti vehicle as well. Am hoping that the German technology really lives up to its reputation. Did you come across any links in this forum which hint what to look out for / check when collecting a new vehicle? 

Cheers

Hi to all ,What is the current selling price for B180?Any service credit giving by C & C?

Current list price is 149,888. package includes service credit .. not sure if this a standard. There is now an on going promo for the B-Class ..

http://www.mercedes-benz.com.sg/content/singapore/mpc/mpc_singapore_website/enng/home_mpc/passengercars/home/world/news_and_events/offers/complements_your_desire.html#_int_passengercars:home:module-teaser:complements_your_desi

Hi dcaaa,

I have just booked a B180 style recently. Like you, collecting around end July or early Sept. First time owning a conti vehicle as well. Am hoping that the German technology really lives up to its reputation. Did you come across any links in this forum which hint what to look out for / check when collecting a new vehicle? 

Cheers

What are the German technologies that lets you think that they have their reputations?

My advise: The German cars have very good and complex technologies installed, but as any electronics, the more there are, the more chances of a car failing.

• Like 1

What are the German technologies that lets you think that they have their reputations?

My advise: The German cars have very good and complex technologies installed, but as any electronics, the more there are, the more chances of a car failing.

Agree.. more gadgets... more chances of failure .. well, i guess i will find out soon.. cheers

Hi and Congrats.

Hi when you mention gears need to get used to, do you mean the gear change its different ? I personally find the low gears sluggish esp between 1-20 km/h where it drags abit

Hi when you mention gears need to get used to, do you mean the gear change its different ? I personally find the low gears sluggish esp between 1-20 km/h where it drags abit

Hi Baby200,

...low gear sluggish response .. is this the same throughout the different drive modes?

This "getting use to...." as mentioned by Silverkris was exactly the same thing the SE told me when I was test driving the B180 althought i don't quite understand ..  

I have yet to collect the vehicle and new to the MERC vehicle hence looking forward to learning from others .. :)

Hi Baby200,

...low gear sluggish response .. is this the same throughout the different drive modes?

This "getting use to...." as mentioned by Silverkris was exactly the same thing the SE told me when I was test driving the B180 althought i don't quite understand ..  

I have yet to collect the vehicle and new to the MERC vehicle hence looking forward to learning from others .. :)

Daimlerfan - Well this is my personal view.. other bros here can jump into to share their experience too. In my former VW ride, the gear switch to 2 almost instantly as the car moved off.. now for our gearbox it takes longer to upshift.. perhaps this is the characteristic of DCT. 

Daimlerfan - Well this is my personal view.. other bros here can jump into to share their experience too. In my former VW ride, the gear switch to 2 almost instantly as the car moved off.. now for our gearbox it takes longer to upshift.. perhaps this is the characteristic of DCT. 

Mercedes DCT is not quite the same as VW DSG (although they use the same technology).

By getting used to the DCT, what I mean is that you have to understand and getting used to the gear changes when moving off and slowing down. It works unlike other auto cars.

When moving off, in order to be "faster", the DCT holds on to 1st and 2nd gear longer for the rev to be higher. This works well when compared with other cars with higher torque but the gear changes too fast to higher gears.

When slowing down, if you depress brake and suddenly let go of the brakes for a slow down effect as in other cars, the DCT has a harder time to adjust to this thus a jerking effect as it struggles to find an appropriate gear as it tries to figure out your next steps.

The "sports" mode is totally unusable in Singapore context, only thing that mode is good at is to be off 1st in line during traffic light. It just doesn't bode well for Singapore traffic where frequent changing of gears are normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, a newbie thst just signed on a B180 style.

A few questions has been pondering me after signed.

1) Is cost of ownership high?

- servicing cost each time( any package from cnc or recommend to do outside)

- Is parts expensive to get?

2) Any major issue for the B series?

- Gear/transmission issue?

- Aircon issue

-Others.

3 Most important

- Any regular meet up?

Thanks for all the advise as first time driving conti car. Driven only Toyota and Honda.

I've got my new B180 Style for 2 months, some observations

For gear: Coming from Altis, I feel the transmission is not that smooth but acceptable. After 2 months I totally get used to the new gear
For aircon: though there is no rear air con vent, the air con is definitely strong enough to cool the whole car. However, the temperature setting in the car is useless, as if you set it to be 26 or 27 (as what I did to my old Altis), the B180 will blow hot air!! So I end up with 21 degress, while adjust through blow speed.. I feel this is a design flaw.
For fuel consumption: so far I only have 10km for 1L of petrol, with 50% highway 50% city. Not very fantasitic but maybe it's because it's still a new car
the car got many many gadgets, so if got time you have quite a lot to play with.

I've got my new B180 Style for 2 months, some observations

For gear: Coming from Altis, I feel the transmission is not that smooth but acceptable. After 2 months I totally get used to the new gear

For aircon: though there is no rear air con vent, the air con is definitely strong enough to cool the whole car. However, the temperature setting in the car is useless, as if you set it to be 26 or 27 (as what I did to my old Altis), the B180 will blow hot air!! So I end up with 21 degress, while adjust through blow speed.. I feel this is a design flaw.

For fuel consumption: so far I only have 10km for 1L of petrol, with 50% highway 50% city. Not very fantasitic but maybe it's because it's still a new car

the car got many many gadgets, so if got time you have quite a lot to play with.

Thank for the info bro. Cnc did not bid for me. They told me they will bid for me on the 6/22 one onwards.

• Like 1