• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MBM Wheelpower - bad experience

Am a newbie to this forum, being a newish owner of a merc. So just want to share experience. Understand MBM is a site sponsor but had to say this so other forumers are aware.  

I bot a second hand Merc which needed a battery change. Researched forum and asked and decided on Varta Silver Dynamic. Call MBM at Sin ming (cos Sin ming closer to my place) for price. Lady answered and said will call back but didn't - ok nvermind no big issue.

Next day I called and went down to MBM at Kung Chong cos closer to my work place. on phone and in person spoke to a service manager named Keong. said very clearly both times I wanted the Varta silver dynamic battery and asked how much. Was quoted about 250 to 300. Know there's mark up but ok with it given its MBM, thought some trustworthiness so prepared to pay a bit more plus got 1 year guarantee. Cost came up to 315 = 250 for batt and 45++ for labour/ useless battery testing (I already ask to change battery, test for what??) plus GST etc

Next day washing car, I took out the batt cover and saw what's installed is Varta Blue Dynamic. Called back Keong and asked politely why was this the case? he said he's outside but will check once back in workshop and call back. he never called back and cannot get him.

Some forumers may ask what's the big deal? both can use what. Experienced bros here will know price difference between Varta Silver and Blue is quite substantial. And a experienced friend told me the silver last substantially longer for his merc. that's why I wanted the silver. But more importantly its not about the money but about business practice, a unethical practice of giving someone something cheaper/ lousier quality, just because they think cannot be found out. I think he thought I had no experience in merc and wont know how to take out cover.

Some may say, I should have supervise the change or check immediately after change. But if you been to MBM at Kung Chong, you will noe they dun allow you in the workshop and the lack of space outside workshop make it not really possible to do checking. plus I thought they are relatively famous, this kinda basic thing should be ok.

Was initially keen to try the Carlsson tuning box they carry but now think forget it.

something for bros who want to do extensive mod with them to think about. especially if the mod is cannot be easily seen kind.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident but bros here do be aware.

• Like 1

Keong from MBM is the my go to guy from MBM... never fails me... Maybe TS can try calling him again tomorrow.... he could be busy.....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Thanks both for the suggestion and comments.

Ha. maybe regular customer better service? If so good for u lah.

I already been trying a week to get answers. Think have given enough time on this and for them before i decided to post. Just thought to post experience so bros are adequately aware. Like i said hopefully isolated.

I not in any car or related business. Just a regular merc owner/ fan. So nothing in it for me to bring their name down. i actually like the stuff they carry. like the ADV1 rims. So many car workshops out there, target mbm also dont mean any particular shop benefit anyway.

Their invoice is very simple. just state varta battery. maybe bros here can decide if the price should indicate silver or blue. if its blue, price is very expensive. more importantly i did specify twice i wanted silver dynamic. and after installation when paying i ask to confirm the Ah. no mention Blue was installed instead.

maybe someone can give me a different perspective.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully workshop value this forum enough to clear the air and if there is any misunderstanding, sort it out.

Otherwise, newbies (myself included) will not want take a risk in future whe. Looking for a workshop. There are other workshops out there.

When I use outside workshop for my previous ride, I avoid those that do not allow owners to see what they are doing.

Unfortunately with AD, we have no choice.

yep. first time visits are a bit of a gamble. batt dying so rushed this time i guess. plus was keen to check out their stuff. heh heh.

some of the best are in those shell stations. for simple stuff. i know one in dunearn road but outta the way for me. next time travel further also ok lah.

lucky not a expensive lesson this time!

Thanks for sharing..... hopefully Moderators would or could do some ratings on such sponsors. I mean especially if they are sponsors they should be more aware of their responsibilities for members of this forum.

Am not sayjng that we should be given preferential treatment.... as business owners they should be more responsible for their actions... but as they are site sponsors they should be even more attentive to service quality.

MBM - pls wake up your ideas..... luckily your victim is not me else I will pursue it to the end....

• Like 1

Imo ... its not the 100 bucks

Its an integrity issue that I will surely pursue at all means as I hate to be conned and feel like a sucker !

If through my own ignorance I have beem over-charged I just LL .. but if it's an outright attemp to con with misrepresentation, sorry .. I will shout and scream to seek my own justice.

I have been to MBM once as well .. also not impressed.

• Like 1

Yes denwee is exactly right. It’s not the money but an integrity issue.

For me I have made enough attempt on this. Not gonna spend more time and effort so they can then say it’s been sorted and everyone’s happy. Have already concluded I won’t go to them again.

They just lost a potential long term customer over maybe 100 bucks.

• Like 2

Not just one ... but surely quite a few at least over just these 2 days and certainly more in the future

We can't undermine the power of social media. Even the government knows this now

One should always treat all their new 1st time customers as if they are their regulars as no one can simply write off the first deal as just an one-off insignificant deal.

• Like 1

I doubt MBM would do so.... to the direct customer already cant be bothered...more so we arent customers yet....

Thats the problem with many Singapore business... service drop with increase business as they feel they can afford the loss of some customers n biz.

Thank you Jay75 for your invaluable feedback. Is it possible for you to provide your vehicle registration number so that we may pull out your records and investigate accordingly? Perhaps, you will like to PM us instead of writing down your veh no here?

We will also like to use this opportunity to thank ah bui for his kind words. it is always encouraging for us to hear such compliments from our customers.

• Like 2

I did my last servicing at Advanti centre at Pandan Road because it is just behind my office.

Upon collection of my car, I realized my front tire punctured.  Take a closer look and I notice a fresh cut at the side wall of my tire.  The service guy deny they cause it and I requested to speak to their Manager.  The Manager came, take a look at the cut and immediately instruct the sales guy to replace a new tire for me.  I asked for 1 pair but was rejected.  However after some peaceful nego with the Sales guy, we come to an agreement.... I will pay for the 2 tires (Yokohama) at special discounted price and they will waived off the servicing charges of about $3xx plus...  I'm happy with the outcome and subsequently recommended my colleagues to them.

• Like 1

Thank you Jay75 for your invaluable feedback. Is it possible for you to provide your vehicle registration number so that we may pull out your records and investigate accordingly? Perhaps, you will like to PM us instead of writing down your veh no here?

We will also like to use this opportunity to thank ah bui for his kind words. it is always encouraging for us to hear such compliments from our customers.

Applause to MBM

• 2 months later...

Any update from Jay75 ? 

I just bought a used C180 and due for servicing at 45k,  I am thinking go MBM for 45k servicing.

Many year ago I brought my CL7 from PI and warranty and service by them and find it service excellent :)

That is why i am thinking of going back MBM ,,  use to see many  MERCE serviced by them....

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Changed an alternator pulley with them some time in May.

The mechanic used brute force to try to remove the old alternator pulley causing the tool bit to break off inside the alternator (i kept quiet since he mentioned no impact on alternator, being gullible i accepted)

Next he installed a wrong sized alternator pulley cause the alternator to smoke and subsequently jam. More waiting time for correct sized alternator pulley to be installed ( i did not know at that time that could have cause issues with the alternator)

About one month later, i encountered alternator failure and towed the vehicle back to them, they told me alternator needs to be replaced ( and charged me $90++ just for diagnostic fees) , Because my car is still under warranty with another workshop and alternator is covered under warranty i decided to tow back to my warranty workshop instead. 

At my warranty workshop, they told me the cause of the alternator failure was due to the wrong method and wrong sized alternator pulley used by M*M Wheelp0wer, and because i allowed other workshop to service my car, i could not claim warranty and had to cough up cash. 

When i tried to claim back the amount from M*M Wheelp0wer and request 70% damages instead of the 50% they offered, they told me ...sorry ...now one cent also wont give you cause not our fault. ( you can flame me for not accepting the 50%, but the thing is i REQUESTED not demanded 70% instead) 

You have been warned regarding this workshop who is also a SGMERC forum sponsor, it seems to me their reputation is worth less than the amount they could have reimbursed me.

more info here 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2702822-poor-service-and-bad-experience-at-mm-wheelp0wer/